Standard Rack 19"
First mentions about the use of a similar standard can be found over 100 years ago. They were used for the first telecommunication devices. Currently, it is a standard describing the rails used to mount devices in cabinets, racks or installation frames. The frame mounts devices and accessories with a 19” wide front panel. This size also includes side handles for attaching the device. Typical uses are most often:
- computer networks
- computer servers,
- telecommunications equipment
- audiovisual production equipment
- measuring and science equipment.
Standard Rack 19 inch includes 2 rails with specified parameters mounted at a standardized distance.
Most rails are made as bent steel or pressed aluminum profiles with a thickness of about 2mm. Often, in order to better stabilize the devices, 2 pairs of Rack 19" are used.
Distance of the second Rack pairs are not normalized.
Additionally standard precisely defines the location and size of the holes in the 19-inch rack rails.
Detailed standards for 19 racks inches described via via specifications:
- Electronic Industries Alliance EIA-310-D, Cabinets, racks, panels and related equipment, September 1992 (latest standard currently REV E 1996)
- Consumer Electronics Association CEA-310-E design requirements for cabinets, panels, racks and shelves, dated December 14, 2005
- International Electrotechnical Commission IEC - Documents are available in French and English.
- IEC 60297 Mechanical parameters of electronic equipment 19 inch rack
- IEC 60297-1 Replaced by IEC 60297-3-100
- IEC 60297-2 Replaced by IEC 60297-3-100
- IEC 60297-3-100 Part 3-100: Basic panel dimensions front panels, shelves, cabinets, racks and cabinets
- IEC 60297-3-101 Part 3-101: Subracks and plugs
- IEC 60297-3-104 Part 3-104: Subrack interface dimensions , plugs and connectors
- IEC 60297-3-105 Part 3-105: Dimensions and aspects design for a 1U chassis
- IEC 60297-4 Replaced by IEC 60297-3-102
- IEC 60297-5 Multiple documents, -100, 101, 102, ... 107, replaced by IEC 60297-3-101
- Deutsches Institut für Normung DIN 41494 - Many documents in German, but some documents are available in English.
- DIN 41494 Hardware Practices for Electronic Equipment; 482.6 mm (19 in) Series Mechanical Designs
- DIN 41494-7 Dimensions of cabinets and rack sets.
- DIN 41494-8 Elements of front panels; assembly conditions, dimensions
- DIN IEC 60297-3-100 (see IEC section above)